Then the Sailor's Return - a notorious public house. In 1895 a Victorian top was built on the Cottage but the lower storeys - kitchen and dining room - retain the charm of Cornish slate and mortar construction. The beamed kitchen has every modern appliance - built in behind limed-oak units.
Earlier, until circa 1860, when the Great Western Line brought people to Fowey to stay at the Fowey Hotel, the house extended across the road, forming a toll house and the North Gate. The gate was designed to stop night time maurarderers, not to mention the French in even earlier times! The gate was eventually demolished when the Fowey Hotel bus could not pass underneath.

Home Page Cottage Overview Cottage Virtual Tour